Why Social And Emotional Development Is Important For Your Child?
Do you every wonder how your child is growing up to be? Weather he/she will be shy or confident, introvert or an extrovert? Well, that depends a lot upon how they are brought up when they are still toddlers, their social and emotional development to be more precise. Social and emotional development refer to the development of skills or abilities to effectively interact and communicate, control feelings and actions, build relationship with others etc. These skills allow the child to extend his/her feelings to the caregiver or parent. Here are a few more reasons why it is important:1
1. Effective social and emotional skills in pre-schoolers can be related to successful completion of education, excellent performance in co-curricular activities and flourishing career opportunities in adulthood.
2. Positive social and emotional skills will impact the way a child functions at home, school and in the community.
3. Social, emotional or behavioural inabilities can impact the chances of academic success and development of healthy relationships.
Thus, a childhood with well-developed skills is a stepping stone to a successful adulthood and life ahead.
Development Of Social And Emotional Skills At Different Ages2
First 5 years are very important for growth and development. Child attains following major social and emotional skills during this period:
Social And Emotional Skills
|Birth to 1 year||
Babbles with expression and copies sound
nitiates peer interactions
Plays away from parent
How Can Parents Aid It
• Be a role model
• Show affection and care
• Be considerate of feelings
• Listen and welcome the child’s viewpoints
• Encourage and support
• Praise good behaviour
What Happens If These Skills Aren't Developed Properly?
Although there is an age defined for the development of these skills, it is not that a child would not develop them if that age has passed. It has been observed that many children develop slowly or late due to delayed brain development.
It is a known fact that almost 90% of the brain is developed by 6 years of age^. Proper brain development depends heavily on nutrition but more often than not, the child’s diet doesn’t provide all the required nutrients in the right amount. For example, DHA is one of the most important building blocks of the brain and its availability in food sources is very scarce. Health food drinks like Junior Horlicks# can help you fill this gap by providing nutrients like DHA, Choline, Iron, Iodine etc. that are important for brain development.